[Users] Gmail OAUTH2 recent change

Chris Schrauben chrisretusn at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:35:20 UTC 2022

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 08:56:54 -0400
Dan Engel <dengel at sourceharvest.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My oauth2 access to gmail recently stopped working (I only recently
> before that got it working). When I look at the scopes settings in
> the app I created for claws, there is this informational note (when
> you hover on the "i") related to the restricted scopes (which the
> gmail scope is one):
>
> "Because you added restricted scopes , which grant access to highly
> sensitive users data, you will need to submit your app for
> verification. . In addition, you may need to go through an
> independent security review, which can cost $15-$75k"
>
> This appears to mean I simply cannot use gmail with claws (at least
> for now). Has anyone else run into this? Is there something I'm
> missing?

I gave up on trying to get Claws Mail to work with Gmail and OAUTH2. I
had it working for awhile. It never lasted long, normally a week. I had
to redo the certification again. I tried using Testing and Publish,
both ended up failing at some point.

This is something in my opinion the developers need to implement in to
Claws Mail the like Thunderbird does. I've been testing Thunderbird for
about three weeks now and there are no issues with OAUTH2.

That said, until I can rid myself of Gmail I have activated TFA in
Gmail and created an App Password for Claws Mail. It works.

I have attached to files. I got them from a post made by Little Girl
dated 13 Jun 2022, subject Oauth2 to save from having to search for
them.

Chris