[Users] Build of Win32 Installer fails on gmp-6.2.1

wishful99 at btinternet.com wishful99 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 3 14:35:54 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 10:49:28 -0700.
Jonathan Boeing <jonathan at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 15:35:29 +0100
> Rosemary Lockie via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Maybe a query for Jonathan?
> >
> > I am trying to rebuild v3.19 of the Win32 Installer Windows Subsystem
> > for Linux v.2, and Debian (Bullseye) and have discovered MAKE fails
> > when trying to build gmp-6.2.1.
> >
> > My first build on WLS v1 was successful, so I assume the issue
> > relates to WSL v2.
> >
> > The error reported is:
> >
> > [snip]
> > checking for build system executable sufix... configure: error:
> > Cannot determine executable suffix
> > [snip]
> >
> > The received wisdom online is that it does relate to WSL2 [qv
> > https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2020-January/004714.html ]
> >
> > and can be fixed by setting environment variables CC and CC_FOR_BUILD
> > explicitly, eg:
> >
> > export CC=x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
> > export CC_FOR_BUILD=x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc
> >
> > I tried that, before running autogen.sh, but the build still fails,
> > and it occurred to me that perhaps those values are not correct for a
> > Claws Build?
>
> The package-specific build arguments are in src/Makefile.am.  To set
> CC and CC_FOR_BUILD explicitly for gmp's configure, change
> cm_pkg_gmp_configure from:
>
> cm_pkg_gmp_configure = \
>         --disable-static \
>         --enable-shared \
>         --disable-cxx
>
> to:
>
> cm_pkg_gmp_configure = \
>         --disable-static \
>         --enable-shared \
>         --disable-cxx \
>         CC=$(CC) \
>         CC_FOR_BUILD=$(CC)

Jonathan,

Thank you. It's really helpful for me to learn more about where to tweak things. :)

I made the necessary modifications to ~/src/Makefile.am, and judging from gmp's
config.log the values do appear to have been transmitted to the build AOK.

But (after running build-aux/pkg.sh, and autogen.sh) MAKE still reports the same issue.

Should CC and CC_FOR_BUILD have identical values? They are different in the example given
in the gmplib list:

https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2020-January/004714.html

CC_FOR_BUILD is set to x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc though that might be because of other reasons?

Sorry about this! I did keep a backup of the build that worked, and I've been sorely
tempted to copy the playground files for gmplib from there, but that may well screw
something else up! :-)

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie