[Users] Build of Win32 Installer fails on gmp-6.2.1

Rosemary Lockie wishful99 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 2 14:35:29 UTC 2022

Hello,

Maybe a query for Jonathan?

I am trying to rebuild v3.19 of the Win32 Installer Windows Subsystem for Linux v.2, and
Debian (Bullseye) and have discovered MAKE fails when trying to build gmp-6.2.1.

My first build on WLS v1 was successful, so I assume the issue relates to WSL v2.

The error reported is:

[snip]
checking for build system executable sufix... configure: error: Cannot determine
executable suffix
[snip]

The received wisdom online is that it does relate to WSL2 [qv
https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2020-January/004714.html ]

and can be fixed by setting environment variables CC and CC_FOR_BUILD explicitly, eg:

export CC=x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
export CC_FOR_BUILD=x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc

I tried that, before running autogen.sh, but the build still fails, and it occurred to me
that perhaps those values are not correct for a Claws Build?

I switched to WLS2 because WLS1 was so slow, and overall WLS2 does seem to be faster.

Sorry for so many questions on this, especially as I don't suppose many folk would
want to build Claws under Win32! I've been a developer myself for many a year (mainframes
and PC), but it's a first for me on Linux, and it's certainly taxing me! Everyone who
contributes and has contributed to Claws over the years has my admiration for sure!

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie