[Users] Wrong Folder?

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Sat Jan 22 16:17:05 CET 2022

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:34:29 +0300
Ivan Krylov <krylov.r00t at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the file ownership is a red herring here. Unless Chris
> both created the back-ups and restored them as root, it shouldn't be
> possible for tar running as non-superuser to create files with uid/gid
> different from the current user.

This is not true. If the uid does not exists on the computer you
restore then then ownership of the files and folders will be either
nobody or you will see uid and gid for owner and group. This of course
requires that the ownership of the files and folders in the backup does
not belong to root - root has uid 0 (zero) on any unix/linux system.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xD3C9A00E
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xE501F51C
mir <at> miras <dot> org
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xE3E80917
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for
these only gave life, those the art of living well.
		-- Aristotle