[Users] Wrong Folder?

claws at cwm030.com claws at cwm030.com
Sat Jan 22 16:09:28 CET 2022

On 2022-01-22 08:34, Ivan Krylov wrote:
> I think that the file ownership is a red herring here. Unless Chris
> both
> created the back-ups and restored them as root, it shouldn't be
> possible for tar running as non-superuser to create files with uid/gid
> different from the current user.

Ivan,

I missed A LOT of emails.. I just caught on ( a day later) that my
emails were going poof when I thought everything was fine.

I know, I know, I should of paid attention....

I was wondering why I had no emails yesterday.. I thought that was kind
of odd and then, I just happen to be sitting here this morning drinking
my coffee and Claws said it was downloading 19 emails but none of the
folders lit up... Thats when I went into Red Alert mode.

About backing up:

I just open Thunar ( yes I use Thunar in Gnome)

Right click on ( the folder is now called) /home/chris/CLAWS

and click COMPRESS

then, I am asked where do I want to save the file.. I click NEXTCLOUD

To restore the files:

I open Nextcloud

Go to my backup folder

right click on my CLAWS.tar.gz folder

I click on EXTRACT TO..............

then select /home

I was just told by someone else that next time that I nuke and pave
Extract my data

then instantly go to the terminal and do

chmod -R +rwx "/home/chris/CLAWS/"

Before launching Claws to check email for the first time.

I hope that tidbit of information helps you ^^

I don't see how I am going wrong by doing that? I am not zipping the
files as sudo or unzipping them as sudo.