[Users] Anybody have an explanation?

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:57:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 17:41:46 +0100
Ralf Mardorf via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:24:31 -0500, Dan Arico wrote:
> >Normally, when I hit "Compose" the compose window comes up on top of
> >the message window. Sometimes it comes up behind the message window.
> >
> it might be an issue with the used desktop environment, see
> https://manual.ardour.org/ardour-configuration/system-specific-setup/kde-plasma-5/
> . IIRC this happens or happened with at least GIMP, too. Maybe your
> issue is related to this one.

DM: Yeah, I would say this is a good guess. I ran into this some back
when I was using Lubuntu, which I think at that time was using (LXDE?).
Put a bit of time into trying to 'fix' it, and it seemed like it might
have been possible by digging deep (for me) into one or more places in
the system to make manual edits, but it's also possible it would have
been out of my control other than filing a bug report or feature
request somewhere for something. Finally decided it wasn't worth my
time to figure out, and that it didn't take too long to Alt-Tab to
wherever the window happened to be. :) I'm currently on Linux Mint with
XFCE and I can't remember getting something like this, but every so
often I'll open a file and it will appear to be 'on top' but it won't
have whatever 'focus' is needed to be responsive to the keyboard until
I click inside the window with my mouse. I've seen on this list that
some have seen similar behavior with Claws Mail and perhaps other
programs, and my understanding is that this is a 'more global' (desktop
environment?, GTK?, other?) problem rather than a problem with the
specific program. Although it doesn't happen for all programs, so it
seems that part of the problem is the way in which the 'contextual'
(i.e. 'more global') software is interacting with the specific program
and/or vice-versa. Probably one or more solutions somewhere, but I have
no idea what they are. :) Cheers, ---Dustin