[Users] [feature suggestion] use a more specific subject tag

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Wed Feb 2 08:31:02 CET 2022

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:11:24 +0100
Norwid Behrnd via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to suggest a change in the format of the subject line
> for messages in this board.

Hi,

there is no single format pleasing everyone. That's it.

> A couple of days ago, I subscribed to this user list and noticed the
> subject line of the messages always uses the tag `[Users]`, on

Correction: it is [users] with lower case 'u', actually.

> occasion with an additional, optional one like `[Feature wish]`.
> Because I'm not sure if these are automatically set, or by a
> moderator of this list, this mail uses them manually set.

I don't think there actually is a moderator. Messages go through
mailing list manager with [users] tag being added automatically.

> However, instead of the currently used tag `[Users]`, I would like to
> suggest one which is more specific and easier to recognize as
> belonging to this project: `[Claws Mail]`, or `[Claws Mail][users]`.
> If adopted, this pattern would allow to tag, to retrieve, to
> (automatically) filter/move entrant messages in claws mail with a
> check of the subject line.

Well, my preference is just the opposite - do not add anything to the
subject of message. Actually, I set up a filter on my mail server
removing it from subject. Also, I am filling messages coming from a
mailing list to its own folder, based (mostly) on header field List-Id
value.

[ examples snipped ]

> What is your perspective about this?

As already written, my *personal* preference is adding no tag to
subject. Postings to mailing list are being distinguished based on
List-Id header value, so it is not necessary to occupy any screen space
with such a tag. Others may have different preference, it is largely
the matter of taste. My suggestion: adopt. If you like something
looking differently, try first some modification on your side, prior to
trying to convince others to do the change for you (and escalate the
change to everyone else).

[ Could this be considered a bikeshed debate? ]

Regards,
Milan