[Users] Collapse all folders?

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Sat Dec 24 17:47:58 UTC 2022

On Fri, 23 Dec 2022, at 19:19, slitt at troubleshooters.com wrote:

> Where it gets tricky if there are two folders with the same name. For
> instance, I have an account.pub-forum, which sorts after, and an
> account.OLDFOLDERS.pub-forum, which sorts before.

If you renamed the latter as  account.RTN.pub-forum  (where RTN
implies RETAINED) it might work better...

Or rename both, eg

account.pub-forum                      -->  account.c.pub-forum
account.OLDFOLDERS.pub-forum  --> account.x.pub-forum

where .c. and .x. imply current and ex (ie old).   Or

account.pub-forum                      -->  account.pfc.pub-forum
account.OLDFOLDERS.pub-forum  -->  account.pfx.pub-forum

or even

account.pub-forum                      -->  ac.pf.c.account,pub-forum
account.OLDFOLDERS.pub-forum  -->  ac.pf.x.account.pub-forum-old

if you need the "account.pf" or "ac.pf" part of those names to
keep these two folders in a certain place relative to those
around them.

In essence I use (in some webmail systems) fairly cryptic lefthand
parts of folder names, to dictate the order in which the folders
are listed, with more meaningful righthand parts for my own
benefit to tell me what's in them.

Ideally you need to think of a strategy for naming all folders.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.