[Users] Recover mail from a backup --- got it!!!

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Apr 23 02:17:25 UTC 2022

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:00:37 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:17:01 +1200
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > This is another point where I am completely stuck.  How do I copy
> > the email that I want? I can't even find it!!!
>
> It's in the sub-directory of .claws-mail/imapcache in your backup.
> You've created an MH mailbox, (default location ~/Mail), so you use
> your file manager to copy the files from the imapcache/..
> sub-directory into ~/Mail/Inbox. Then you open the Inbox folder in
> Claws Mail, and there is your mail.

OK.  I've got it now.  The first problem was finding *which* of the
sub-directories of imapcache was appropriate; there were several.
I finally figure out which was the right one, went there and went into
yet another sub-directory the name of which was my "UPI" (that's what I
get from having the University of Auckland as my email provider) and
then to INBOX.  The files there (messages) have non-perspicuous names;
six digit numbers actually.

I copied all of these files (there were not too many of them) into
~/Mail/inbox.

I then started claws-mail and in the Folder list, below the two email
accounts that I have, there now appeared "Mailbox (MH)". Clicking on
that, and then on "Inbox" (here only the initial letter is upper case)
revealed a number of messages, one of which was the one I'd
inadvertently deleted.

And I could then copy or move it to another "more orthodox" folder.

A lot easier than my shaganappi approach, but I would never have got
there  without Paul's guidance.

Thank you.

cheers,

Rolf Turner