[Users] Recover mail from a backup --- possible?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Apr 21 00:28:55 UTC 2022

On 21/4/22 8:20 am, Rolf Turner wrote:

> Just now I (stupidly/clumsily) *deleted* an email from my inbox.  I'm
> not even sure what it was, but I'd like to recover it, just in case it
> was something important.  I'm pretty sure it was not a recent email;
> i.e. it had been sitting around for some weeks, waiting for me to deal
> with it.
>
> I have a *fairly* recent backup of my user files on an external drive.
> I believe that the backup is more recent than the email that I am
> trying to recover.  I can mount the external drive and look at
> /home/rolf/.claws-mail in that backup. But then I get stuck.
>
> How do I actually get at the emails (copies of which I presume are
> there *somewhere*)?  I have attached ("listing.txt") the results of
> executing "ls" in /home/rolf/.claws-mail in the backup.
>
> I have looked in "imap.cache" (the mail account in question is an IMAP
> account), but everything there seems "old" (most recent date is 3
> January 2021 (!!!) whereas many files in the /home/rolf/.claws-mail
> directory date from 8 April 2022.  (I did the backup on 9 April 2022.)
>
> So where do I go to look for emails that arrived in the weeks just prior
> to 9 April 2022?  Or am I asking the impossible?
>
> If there is any further information that I could/should provide, please
> tell me.  If you offer instructions, may I beseech you to couch them in
> simple language?  I have some computer skills, but there are yawning
> lacunae in my knowledge.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

How did you delete it?

Unless you used <SHIFT><DELETE>, it should simply have been transferred
to the Deleted bin - see the pane at the left, that displays a list of
the folders.

Click on the Deleted bin, and find whether it is in that folder.

--
Bret Busby
Genealogical DNA Research Participant and Campaigner

Armadale
West Australia
(UTC+0800)