[Users] How badly have I screwed myself?

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Wed Apr 6 16:08:13 UTC 2022

Hi,

I've been running two instances of CM for at least 15 years, like this:

pfortin:  .claws-mail & Mail
pierre:  .claws-mail & Mail  (via ssh localhost or su - pierre)

On my new system, decided to run them both from the same userid
to finaly avoid inter-userid issues I've had:

pfortin:
.claws-mail.pfortin & Mail.pfortin
.claws-mail.pierre & Mail.pierre

Trying to be careful, I:
Searched the claw-mail website for tools or instructions; didn't find
anything.
Scanned the .claws-mail *rc files for path settings; again
nothing obvious:
 accountrc:  #mh/Mailbox/* are not absolute like /home/userid1/Mail/*
 clawsrc: only save_folder=#mh/Mailbox/inbox/SPAM contains Mail
 folderitemrc:  same as accountrc

Then:
 mv .claws-mail .claws-mail.pfortin
 cm --alternate-config-dir .claws-mail.pfortin
and CM looks good.

Next:
 mv Mail Mail.pfortin
 cm --alternate-config-dir .claws-mail.pfortin
gives lots of "not found"

Now, it appears my Mail is gone.  Found it at ~/tmp/maildirs/Mail
Moved it back to ~
Tried again and folder list showing lots of folders with 0 messages.
Some folders showed a count; but switching to them zeros the count.

I know...  it's obvious there must be a pointer:
   #mh/Mailbox -> /home/pfortin/Mail
but did not find it anywhere.

I think I can recover all my mail from the old laptop, and any new mail
(likely except Sent) from POP3 server; but before I go there, is my mail
just in some location I haven't found, or all lost?  (97K mails)

If my messages are gone; I never thought CM could bulk delete...
Thinking back to
Ron's question about moving just a directory structure, any chance CM did
a directory structure move instead of a simple:
  mv Mail tmp/maildirs
where I found the Mail folder?

Pierre