[Users] secure email providers

Bob Williams usenet at karmasailing.uk
Sat Apr 2 08:55:58 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 07:58:51 -0000
Paul wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2022 05:41:22 +0000
> Bob Williams <usenet at karmasailing.uk> wrote:
>
> > I think they use PGP/GPG under the bonnet (or hood).
>
> But without your own keys, that's not so secure.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

The keys are generated locally when you first subscribe. Messages are
are encrypted on the sending machine before being sent, so they don't
have access to my emails. Of course, that is what they say, and you
have to trust them, but every choice requires some compromise.

I would also argue that having my store of emails encrypted at rest is
increased security, not less.

The most secure computer is buried in reinforced concrete underground
and has never been booted.

Regards

Bob
--