[Users] secure email providers

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 12:34:24 UTC 2022

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:27:14 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:06:37 +0200
> John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > and hence I'd guess low adoption of
> > PGP, plus the fact it is not simple to set up and maintain,
> > especially across multiple devices.
>
> In my view, multiple devices might give you a headache,

Indeed, and most users have more than one method - my wife has at least
4 - a desktop, two phones and an ipad..... oh, plus laptop, and
(unusually) another desktop in another office as well!! I have even
more.

> but aside from that it is simple to set up and maintain.

I don't believe that is the case for the "average" user.

I always reckon my wife is probably a good average user - not
particularly IT literate, but with me about she isn't completely left
behind.

She wouldn't have a chance of maintaining it for any length of time.

She wouldn't understand why when she has lost a key or forgot her
password all her mail becomes unrecoverable.

And then she has to explain to all her friends and clients, who are far
less technically literate than her, how to use it.

I'd love to see widespread adoption but realise if it hasn't happened
now, it probably isn't going to happen at all, especially when certain
large providers are actively against it. It should be default on every
client at setup, but it isn't (Outlook.....).

A good indicator is how many signatures you can see even on this list!

<sigh>

B. Rgds
John