[Users] Open Attachments

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Sat Sep 25 23:39:12 CEST 2021

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 10:27:12 +1300, Brian Bates <buzz at ksys.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 08:25:57 +0200
> Milan Obuch <claws-mail-users at dino.sk> wrote:
>
> > > Sorry for being vague.
> > > What I am trying to achieve:
> > > 1. Open new compose window.
> > > 2. Press Ctrl+M and attach a pdf file.
> > > 3. Go to the "Attachments" tab in the compose window.
> > >
> > > This is where I am stumped so far.
> > >
> > > This will now be showing the attached file details in what I think
> > > may be a list box, under the headings "Mime type" "Size" "Name".
> > > It should be showing the following line:
> > > "application/pdf 20.11KB mypdf.pdf"
> > >
> > > If I double click this line it shows a properties dialog.
> > > Right click give the options to remove it, add another file or
> > > show the properties dialog.
> > >
> > > I would like to add the ability to open the file in the
> > > appropriate external program. In this case my choice of pdf
> > > viewer.
> >
> > Brian, thanks for description. This is actually functionality I was
> > missing on some occasion in past. Maybe others find it usefull as
> > well. Are you able to build Claws Mail by yourself? I did some
> > search in sources and I think in order to achieve what you want,
> > some editing or patching source files would be necessary.
>
> I am using the default Debian stable version, but I could build Claws
> Mail to test it. Can I modify the path so I can run both versions at
> the same time? In Debian Claws Mail is the binary in /usr/bin as
> opposed to a link.

That's great. I am looking a bit more into it. In the meantime, try
searching mailing list archive for using alternate locations (for
binaries and config files). This could come handy.

> > Nicest way to solve this issue would be adding two items to popup
> > menu invoked by right click, 'Open' and 'Open with...' (as found in
> > main window's menu item 'View' -> 'Message part' or in popup menu
> > shown when right clicking message part in message view window).
> > There is one problem - there is no mimeview member in struct
> > _Compose as opposed to _Mainwindow (via messageview) and
> > _MessageView.
>
> Exactly what I was looking for. I thought I might have been able to
> create actions for this using Python, but I haven't had enough time
> due to work commitments to become familiar with the Python interface.

Maybe it is possible to use Python plugin, but I think some
functionality is missing in it.

> > So I have no answer for you right now. Maybe others could offer more
> > insight, however for now I think this is a task for developers
> > (maybe not that hard). I am going to investigate a bit more, but
> > some more time is necessary to do so...
>
> This is not a major problem, Claws Mail is great, but like all
> software there always seems to be something that I would like to
> tweak. :)

I am currently testing simple solution for this task. I need a bit more
time to make it working well, but some skeleton is already done. So
you'll get some answer from me, hopefully soon.

Regards,
Milan