[Users] Use WKD through GPGME

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Oct 30 12:13:03 CET 2021

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 07:42:07 -0000 Paul wrote:

>You missed something. It is possible to retrieve a key which is not on your
>keyring from a MIME-signed mail by clicking the application/pgp-signature
>icon in the column to right of the message text.

Only providing this info in case it matters/helps...
I've never before knowingly used/checked signatures.

Idle curiosity bit me again...  When I clicked on the icon, CM
instantly and completely locked up. Shading/unshading the CM window did
not redraw it, confirming the lockup.  Restarted CM, clicked the icon
again; this time I got the Key Import dialog where I clicked "from
keyserver" which gave me info to try:
$ "/usr/bin/gpg" --batch --no-tty --locate-keys "paul at claws-mail.org"
gpg: error retrieving 'paul at claws-mail.org' via WKD: Network is down
gpg: error reading key: Network is down

My network is perfectly OK. I would know if there was a problem since I'm
streaming a news channel with no issue.

I tried clicking the icon again; but no response. CM not locked up this
time.

So I clicked on the previous message and now the Key Import dialog
popped up. Since I'm now on a different message, nothing appeared when I
clicked on "from keyserver".

Went back to Paul's message, clicking icon and "from keyserver" gave the
info again.  This time:
$ gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

(cm4:297039): Gtk-WARNING **: 07:51:17.032: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node image, owner GtkImage)

(cm4:297039): Gtk-WARNING **: 07:51:17.032: Negative content height -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node image, owner GtkImage)
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available
e "/usr/bin/gpg" --batch --no-tty --locate-keys "paul at claws-mail.org"
gpg: key 2CD716D654D6BBD4: public key "Paul <paul at claws-mail.org>" imported
gpg: key 03369363241E67C2: public key "Paul <paul at claws-mail.org>" imported
gpg: key 2CD716D654D6BBD4: "Paul <paul at claws-mail.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 3
gpg:               imported: 2
gpg:              unchanged: 1
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
pub   rsa4096 2014-06-09 [SC]
      8B3B297A03468356692F8D592CD716D654D6BBD4
uid           [ unknown] Paul <paul at claws-mail.org>
sub   rsa4096 2014-06-09 [E]

$ "/usr/bin/gpg" --batch --no-tty --locate-keys "paul at claws-mail.org"
pub   dsa1024 2001-08-15 [SC]
      265EBBC63E1FDCB77BD757BD03369363241E67C2
uid           [ unknown] Paul <paul at claws-mail.org>
sub   elg2048 2001-08-15 [E]

Loaded plugins:
Address Keeper