[Users] Firefox, Chromium won't open HTML mail

wwp wwp at claws-mail.org
Wed Oct 27 12:52:29 CEST 2021

Hello Pierre,

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:30:51 +0100 "Pierre A." <pa.news at free.fr> wrote:

> I observed this just a few days ago (possibly after an automatic Firefox update) :  HTML mail cannot be viewed in Firefox 93.0 by clicking the image icon in Claws mail, because
>
> Firefox won´t open this kind of URL
> file:///home/alba/.claws-mail/mimetmp/*.mimetmp.html
>
> where * stands for a variable digit sequence.
>
> Firefox gives the error message
> "
> Access to the file was denied
>
> The file at /home/alba/.claws-mail/mimetmp/*.mimetmp.html is not readable.
>
>     It may have been removed, moved, or file permissions may be preventing access.
> "
>
> Actually it is not a problem of permission but file name.  Firefox does not like the termination ".mimetmp.html".  Removing ".mimetmp" solves the problem.
>
> Same thing with Chromium 95.0.4638.54.
>
> However, no problem with Dillo version 3.0.5 and Google Chrome 90.0.4430.93.
>
> In conclusion, I think it might be useful to modify the file naming scheme in Claws mail in order to make it compatible with Firefox and Chrome.

So that we all live with bogus firefox/chromium together forever?
I'd feel more comfortable if you could report this to the bug trackers
of those products, if they don't allow more than one '.' in a filename
(I presume it's not '.mimetmp' that is the issue here, but the fact
there's another . before what we call the file extension, which is not
a POSIX concept), they have serious issues :D.

Something's not really clear to me: you don't really have * in the
file:// URIs, do you? You just replaced it in your email to show us the form
of URIs you manipulate, right? * wouldn't work in file:// URIs, for
sure, even with older versions of Firefox.

Regards,

--
wwp
https://useplaintext.email/