[Users] Fancy plugin / HTML

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 01:39:29 CEST 2021

Hi again, Peter

Em 06/10/2021 17:18, Peter Richards escreveu:
> Hi Dedeco,
>
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:01:59 -0300
> Dedeco Balaco via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, can I compile it and then install it ??  Looked at
>>> https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2021-September/028752.html
>>>  , so will read through that and see if it makes sense.
>> Yes. The most you will need to do is to install some development
>> packages that are needed to compile the source. Else, compiling it is
>> fairly simple. I learned it in the last weeks.
> I noticed that you raised the initial question in that thread. Did you
> find a complete/definitive set of instructions on how to compile a
> plugin please ?  I have browsed through that thread on the lists, but
> the information  seemed not complete ??

I discovered that we can compile just Claws plugins (or a single
specific one, recently). And we can also compile a full Claws Mail to
live completely separated from the one we get by installing the
distribution package, with synaptic, aptitude or apt* and dpkg family of
commands, using the right repositories.

I do not remember the exact answer, or the name of who said to me "to
compile and install just the plugin, do A, B, C". Use your mail manager
to show this list messages in thread format, and check the few threads i
fairly recently started. It was much easier than i imagined possible.

Have you ever, before compiling any source, configured the project to
install in a different place, and use everything relative of that place,
including user configuration files? You will pass some arguments to the
"./configure" command that people said to you here. But execute it
alone! Do **not** call other commands in the same line using "&&" after
it. Do each thing separatedly. I prefer like that.

"./configure --help" command helps a lot, sometimes.

And if you really want to try everything just to test, about Claws,
install the packages needed to compile, get the complete Claws Source,
unpack it to a new directory inside /dev/shm

This folder lives in RAM! So, everything will be lost if your computer
turns off. But basically nothing will be written to your disk,
protecting its life a little bit. If you compile with the right flags,
everything can happen just inside RAM folders. I love this!

😁👍🏾