[Users] Claws-mail and "Exchange online".

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 18 08:50:18 CET 2021

My email service provider, which is the University of Auckland,
announced today that 'there is to be a "migration" of email services to
"Exchange Online"', and that I should inform them if the email
application that I am using is not among a certain set that was listed.

I have no idea what "Exchange Online" actually is, nor why the U. of A.
is "migrating" to it.  (Probably because some mindless MBA in a suit
thought it would be a good idea.)

Claws-mail was not among the email applications listed. I duly informed
the relevant authorities of this fact and got a response:

> The email client needs to support OAUTH2 and be approved by Security
> to work on Exchange Online. It doesn't appear that claw [sic] does
> that. We do also have Evolution and Thunderbird. Would either of
> these work?

Well, Thunderbird *works* but I find it very unsatisfactory.
It is incredibly slow and frequently hangs inexplicably.  I have
never been able to get Evolution to work at all.

I would really like to continue using claws-mail.

I have no idea what it means to "support OAUTH2", nor what "OAUTH2"
actually is.  Are the U. of A. IT people correct in saying that
claws-mail does *not* support OAUTH2?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

cheers,

Rolf Turner