[Users] Compiling Claws for Windows

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Mar 5 14:09:51 CET 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 10:38:58 +0100, Thorsten Maerz stated:
>Hi there!
>Some may remember me from an ancient win32 port some years ago.
>
>I took a look at the current git rev of the Windows port
>(3.17.1-1-106-g0a2557a - containing claws-3.17.8) and it compiles with
>only two hazzles:
>- One is about different behaviour of -D_FORTIFY_SOURCES between
>standard-gcc and mingw-gcc, affects cairo and webkit.
>- The other affects webkit as well and is a linker problem AFAICT: It
>creates undef'd refs for an inlined object method implemented in a
>header file - that method is neither used in the whole code at all, nor
>exported.
>
>With the attached patches, the w32 and w64 versions compile fine (on a
>20.04-LTS Ubuntu, only meson manually updated to 0.55).
>(The "inline.patch" and "nofortify.patch" need to be applied from
>inside the git-checkout with "patch -p1". And probably chmod+x'ed.)
>
>I wonder, why there was no updated executable for that long time.
>Have I just managed to come by at the right time, or are there other
>reasons for not publishing it?

Hi Thorsten,

I had concluded that the Claws-Mail team had lost interest
in supporting the Windows version.

I am still on version 3.17.4 / 32bit, and while it does work reasonably
well, it has real problems with HTML-based email. Probably 75% of my
email is HTML-based, and the fact the CM4Win exhibits this annoyance is
a real problem.

I have never tried to compile CM on a Windows machine, and I am
probably not going to start now; therefore, it would be nice if
up-to-date compiled versions were available.

--
Jerry