[Users] Compiling Claws for Windows

Thorsten Maerz info at netztorte.de
Fri Mar 5 10:38:58 CET 2021

Hi there!
Some may remember me from an ancient win32 port some years ago.

I took a look at the current git rev of the Windows port
(3.17.1-1-106-g0a2557a - containing claws-3.17.8) and it compiles with
only two hazzles:
- One is about different behaviour of -D_FORTIFY_SOURCES between
standard-gcc and mingw-gcc, affects cairo and webkit.
- The other affects webkit as well and is a linker problem AFAICT: It
creates undef'd refs for an inlined object method implemented in a
header file - that method is neither used in the whole code at all, nor
exported.

With the attached patches, the w32 and w64 versions compile fine (on a
20.04-LTS Ubuntu, only meson manually updated to 0.55).
(The "inline.patch" and "nofortify.patch" need to be applied from inside
the git-checkout with "patch -p1". And probably chmod+x'ed.)

I wonder, why there was no updated executable for that long time.
Have I just managed to come by at the right time, or are there other
reasons for not publishing it?

Best greetings,
Thorsten