[Users] Saving Messages Outside of Claws Mail

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Thu Jul 15 15:10:02 CEST 2021

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 18:37:51 +0600, Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm looking for an efficient way to save email messages outside of
> Claws Mail that will be readable by a text editor or web browser
> without a lot of extra noise (i.e. headers, HTML tags, etc.).

Mail headers are easy, just couple of lines at athe message file begin.
For HTML tags, some filter is necessary to throw them away and rewrite
some tokens.

> Thus far, the best solution I have found is to view the message part
> that has the basic header info (From, To, Subject, Date, etc.) and the
> message body, and then select its contents, copy, and paste into a new
> text file I've created for it. This works, but isn't very efficient.

If you have some manual method how to do what you need, most probably
there is a way to automate that.

> I thought maybe the 'Mail Archiver' plugin would do what I want, but
> it's not currently loadable, so I'm guessing I was missing one or more
> dependencies during the build. Does anyone know if this plugin has a
> chance of doing something like I want it to? If so, do you know
> offhand what dependencies it has?

Could you look at ./configure output? You should see there what is
missing for some plugin to be built.

> Is there another solution anyone knows of for this that you think
> would be better/best?

Scripting. Either use some action with script attached to it or use
scripting plugin (in current Claws sources, Python plugin is included,
or <shameless advertisement>my Lua plugin is under active development
and works well (for my needs)</shameless advertisement>.

> The basic idea of what I'm aiming for is to 'convert' a lot of emails
> from a status of being Claws Mail messages to a status of being
> 'regular' files on my computer that can be opened for easy reference
> without needing an email client to open them.
>
> (As an example, I used a Thunderbird plugin that did batch exporting
> to various formats and automatically saved them with a filename that
> included the date at the beginning so that the files would be sortable
> could just select a bunch of them, choose the file format, and point
> the tool to the folder I wanted them in, and then move on to the next
> batch.)

For actions, look in menu Configuration->Actions. Some important items
are under 'Infomation' button. For scripting plugin, look at official
web site, https://www.claws-mail.org/plugin.php?plugin=python for Python
plugin, or google for some examples. If you'd like to try experimental
Lua scripting plugin (I am biased, I consider this one the best...
*grin*), drop me a line - maybe privately if you choose so.

Regards,
Milan