[Users] How to set the From and To automatically

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Tue Feb 23 23:51:08 CET 2021

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 14:17:42 -0800, sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> CM 3.17.8
>
> I subscribe to many lists list CM. I have some filters that send the
> email to the correct folder. I have configured the properties to set
> the from: list this one:
> from: sylpheed at 911networks
>
> For some mailing lists. I have NOT configured anything, they stay in
> the inbox.
>
> Is there a way of when replying to the message that it feeds the
> "from:" with the "Envelope-to:" of the email? and the "to:" with the
> "Delivered-To:"?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

I did basically the same with Python plugin, when I was able to use it.
Simple script $HOME/.claws-mail/python-scripts/auto/compose_any is in
attachment.

Now I am using my own Lua plugin for the same purpose, among other. For
the time being, it is available only as published on developers mailing
list, in message with subject 'Lua plugin goes public (preliminary)'
dated Fri, 12 Feb 2021.

If you can use Python plugin, just modify/extent example given in
attachment. It is harder to use Lua plugin at the moment, you need to
compile Claws Mail from sources.

Shameless self advertisement aside, it is also possible to use
reply/forward template with some |program{sub_expr} for From: field. I
did not tried this way, but it should work as well.

Also, reading your mail as quoted above again, I think there could not
be a difference Envelope-to: vs. Delivered-To:... mail, as read in my
mailbox, does not have Envelope_to: header. Normally, I would expect
this to be identical (in meaning), maybe Return-path: would be
appropriate for To: field in composed reply, at least in some cases
(not for this mailing list).

Regards,
Milan