[Users] Calendar plugin problems: Password handling, import calendar

Jeremy veloce at nixnet.email
Sun Feb 21 13:03:26 UTC 2021

Hi all,

This is a more in-depth summary of the issues I am having with the
calendar plugin.

> > Do your error messages come from Claws, or the plugin, or the
> > server (if that's what it is) where the calendar is stored?

Here is a concise summary of the errors I have received:

If I get the username and password wrong: 401 authorisation required
(from server)

Get username right (username has '@' and '.' in it, as it is another
email address of mine): Could not resolve hostname. URL using
bad/illegal format or missing URL (from client)

Escape the '@' using a %40: This URL does not look like a CalDav url
[...] 404 (from client again)

Apologies, I really do not have much more time to debug this. I looked
in the logs for both davmail and vdirsyncer and basic authentication
is indeed supported, though (perhaps understandably) it did not give
me the username/password string in the logs. I really do not have the
time to get the source of vdirsyncer so I can pore over it and find
the string it uses to log in.

> > Are you able to create a test calendar with a simple userid and
> > password to test with?

I could do that on a different server to test claws mail I suppose,
but (due to how davmail works) the login is always an email address so
there will always be an '@' character present.

I did also try pointing vdirsyncer to the internal.ics (or whatever it
is called, the calendar file that claws generates its self) to no
avail, and because I forgot to specify that the calendar was read-only
(as I had done before for testing purposes) it deleted all my events.
It appears that program is not going to work.

--

Jeremy Nicoll also pointed out (in another email) that it seems the
calendar plugin is wrongly parsing the username/password strings only

Thanks in advance for any advice or information
Jeremy