[Users] Setting the "Spelling" dictionary.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 19 21:12:28 UTC 2021

When I try to check the spelling in an email message (very necessary in
my case! :_) ) the dictionary used always seems to be "ar".  (BTW I have
no idea what that means.)  One sees this by clicking on "Spelling" in
the top bar of the Compose window, then on "Options".  If one then
clicks on "Dictionary" and then on "More" one eventually sees a list of
dictionaries that make sense, e.g. "en", "en_AU", "en_CA", "en_GB", etc.
and clicking on (e.g.) en_AU provides useful spell checking.

The problem is that the next time I send a message I have to again
re-set the dictionary.  I would like it to stay permanently at, say
"en_AU" rather than "ar", but I can't seem to make it do so.

On the top bar of the main claws-mail window I looked at Configuration
-> Preferences -> Compose -> Spell Checking (nice and obvious!), and
there the "Default dictionary" is set to "en_AU".

How can I make the "Spelling" options pay attention to this choice?

Thanks for any tips.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

Honorary Research Fellow