[Users] Interacting with Dovecot using a self-signed cert with a passphrase

slitt at troubleshooters.com slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 5 17:31:03 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm using Claws-Mail as a window into the Dovecot IMAP server on my
desktop. Dovecot is configured for ssl/port993 only. When I use an
rsa:4096 cert pair, pointing on Claws-mail's SSL page of current
account preferences, to Dovecot's public cert location/filename,
everything is fine.

But when I use an rsa:4096 with a passphrase, even though I put the
passphrase on Claws-mail's SSL page of current account preferences, it
fails with a message about can't load a P12 cert. This happens whether
I set the cert to the public or the private cert.

Given that the Claws SSL config page has an input field for the cert's
password, I assume there's an intention to work with passphrased certs.
Can somebody tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

SteveT