[Users] How claws mail treats and deals with new and unread messages?

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 16:45:43 UTC 2021

Em 28/12/2021 13:04, Paul escreveu:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:53:52 -0000
> Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:07:06 -0300
>> Dedeco Balaco via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So, due the current IMAP protocol, CM is unable to work like all other
>>> the clients i have seen before, right?
>> No.
> As in, "No, not right. Wrong."
So, can you help me obtaining it from CM?

In Thunderbird, i have this situation:

1. The server is (suppose) checked every minute.

2. I can open my account and see if any new message arrived.

3. If a new message arrived, Thunderbird will mark it as new (which is a
star together with the subject of this unread message).

4. No new message i saw was needed to open. Thunderbird keeps that new
message marked as new, even though i opened my account from another
managers OR the web interface of the account.

5. If another message arrives, Thunderbird will also mark it as new. And
everything i said from 1 to 4 applies to it, together. In other words,
when i finally look at Thunderbird, i will see two (or more) new
messages marked with their star, and being unread.

6. The exception to 5 is a new message i read in another client or in
the web interface. It will lose its star and its unread status too, of
course.

7. So, I can have new messages in Thunderbird with a read message in
between them.

8. The only way to finally mark these new messages, starred, as just
unread messages, like other possible ones, unread, that could exist
before everything i said, is to manually ask Thunderbird to look for new
messages in the server, while showing the inbox folder. When it
refreshes the displayed messages, as configured, it will not unmark new
messages. So, for example, it receives a new message in 13:31. It is
kept as starred. It will refresh every minute (as i initially supposed
here), no more new message arrives. The message does not lose its star
of "new". At 14:41, a second messages arrives. The same applies.
Thunderbird will be showing 2 starred messages. I only read (using
whatever interface) those messages at 20:02, in the end of the day. And
at this moment, i saw all new messages marked as such, with a star,
making them different from other possibly just unread messages.

How can i obtain this behaviour from Claws Mail? I cannot do it alone.