[Users] Claws not removing emails from server?

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Thu Dec 23 19:03:10 UTC 2021

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021, at 18:36, Michael Rasmussen via Users wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:36:14 +0000
> "Jeremy Nicoll" <jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't POP3 only make requests to a server that stuff should be
>> deleted, and the deletes then happen when the POP3 session is
>> properly ended?
>>
> In POP3 you can have 2 different configurations when fetching emails -
> fetching not inquire.
>
> 1) Delete messages on server after they are downloaded
> 2) Leave messages on server after they are downloaded
>
> Default option is 1)

That's not the point I was making.  The point is that if you choose (1)
the client sends DELE commands to the server but they do not take
place immediately ... giving the user a chance to "undo" them by not
ending the POP3 session formally.  It's the formal QUIT command at
the end of the POP3 session that tells the server to do the previously-
requested deletes.

So the OP's problem might be because they're either never ending
the POP3 session, or not ending it cleanly.  Just closing a window
(depending on the client) doesn't work.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.