[Users] How claws mail treats and deals with new and unread messages?

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 02:21:24 CET 2021

Em 22/12/2021 18:05, Michael Rasmussen via Users escreveu:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:14:01 -0300
> Dedeco Balaco via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> And the discussion here is about what CM does with new and unread
>> messages. The way it seems to deal with them, right now, seems to be
>> confuse, strange and not useful, to me.
>>
> According to IMAP rfc
> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9051#section-6.3.2)
>
> a message can have 2 status flags - RECENT (new), UNSEEN (not read). A
> message with either of these flags is to be considered SEEN (read).
> Google does not support the RECENT flag and therefore merges RECENT and
> UNSEEN to 1 state labeled 'New'. On the other hand Claws-Mail honours
> the IMAP rfc in which case it distinguishes between UNSEEN and RECENT
> so that a message have the correct 3 states - New, Unseen, and Read.
>
> What distinguishes a New from an Unseen message is that an UNSEEN
> message is one that was RECENT before the current state request (eg.
> you have requested a list of new messages at last login but for some
> reason you have not read some or all of the new messages at last login)
> in which case the previous RECENT messages are no longer RECENT but
> UNSEEN. RECENT messages is always messages fetched at current login
> which is not presently in your local mail cache.

Ok. My doubts here is to how persistent the RECENT flag is. I want to
have a mail manager open in work and at home, at the same time. If, at a
moment A, a new message notification must be triggered in both clients,
when they check the account for new messages. I may not read this
specific message, but read others. I only want the RECENT flag removed
from it when i _manually_ refresh the inbox (or the folder where it is).
In the other client, though, it does not know of this manual refresh,
so, it will keep the message RECENT until i go there. If i never open
and read the message with one manager, the other will not remove RECENT
flag. This includes other automatic refresh times, that each manager is
configured to use (for my important account, it is every minute).

Does Claws Mail remove the RECENT flag if i do nothing with the manager,
do not read message, and the time to check for more messages come? I
want it to grow the number of RECENT flag messages.

I use UNSEEN messages to control when i want to read them, while knowing
which i have read. So, i want this to be different from the RECENT flag
workings i described above. Is this possible in CM?