[Users] HTML Rendering

Earl Hood earlhood.eps at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 21:14:03 CEST 2021

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:06:49 -0000, Paul wrote:
> > mostly sufficient (no worse than what Thunderbird does)
> That's a backhanded compliment if ever I read one! :)

Sorry, not my intent.  HTML structures like tables do not render well in
plain text, for both MUAs.  Text-based browsers like w3m and links (not
lynx) have support for tables, but do not know if those projects can be
used as libraries to provide HTML->text conversion for other
applications.

> > IMO, IMAP IDLE support would be way more useful, but doubt it will
> > ever be (I read the past threads regarding the topic)...
>
> Don't do that as a plugin, but directly in core.

IIRC from the past threads I read on this subject, doing it in core is a
major undertaking since a refactor of the IMAP code would be required.
I believe a plugin approach would be like what was done for Sylpheed:
The plugin uses IDLE to just get notifications of new message and then
just invoke the core IMAP code to do a "rescan".  Not sure if Sylpheed
still does it that way, but it was mentioned in one thread I read.

--ewh