[Users] HTML Rendering

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 20:06:21 CEST 2021

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 10:07:37 -0700, Thomas Groman via Users wrote:
>Regarding that,
>
>Please give this
>https://www.nuegia.net/articles/open%20letter%20to%20webmasters.xhtml a
>read. I've written about this exact issue before.

Hi,

I don't want to play the devil's advocate, however, while I share
concerns related to HTML and in particular related to Chrome and
Firefox, some statements are incorrect. Without going into technical
details, just an easy to check example, Chrome doesn't update itself on
Linux or iPadOS. I don't know if it does on other operating systems.

FWIW I don't care about HTML emails, but the OP needs to do so.

In the real world hordes of clueless users share HTML. Actually
most people are using Firefox, Chrome or on the engine based browser
such as Edge. They are using Windows or Apple mailers or common web
interfaces of known big providers.

Usually HTML web sites and emails are rendered usable for most users on
this planet. It makes me wanna puke, that one after the other bank does
change the online banking layout to fit to smartphone screens and the
odd habits of smartphone users, but that's how it is.

Any other claim is plain wrong. Not that seldom websites recommend what
browser to use.

Use IceCat, enable and disable "GNU LibreJS - Block nonfree JavaScript"
and each time visit https://amishamerica.com . The Amish keep up with
the time, while you ask people not to do so.

I'm well aware of all the issues caused by big companies such as
Google. I'm absolutely against HTML emails. The truth still remains,
most users use software that render HTML websites or HTML emails (with
lots of remote content) usable. If for some reason somebody needs to get
in contact with this part of the world, it's reasonable to use software
that allows to do this.

Regards,
Ralf