[Users] [off-topic] German translations - Was: a way to do in GTK+3 the same as the former "gtk-button-images = 0" that was in GTK+2 ?

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 13:13:37 CEST 2021

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 12:49:32 +0300, Cristian Secară wrote:
>launched via command line with set lang=de

Hi,

I'm a native German speaker. In my experiences German translations are
always fishy, wrong or at least incomplete, hence I'm in favour to
default to the English language for almost all FLOSS and proprietary
software I'm using. For some software e.g. professional audio and video
software, German terms are anyway unusual, IOW even the German terms
tend to be Anglicisms. For some exceptions I'm in favour of
translations, for domains that are beyond my knowledge, e.g.
astronomical software. Btw. I like this one
https://www.linguee.com/english-german/translation/big+dipper.html ,
while "dipper" makes sense, it's strange from a German point of view.

The German manual pages are quite funny, an alias I'm using for the
German "man" pages is named "mad" (irrwitzig):

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep mad .bashrc
alias mad='LANG=de_DE.utf8 man'

Once I tried to help with German translations for a Qt app, but have
given up, since there are a lot of pitfalls.

However, as already pointed out by Paul, icons and translations are two
very different animals.

The long and the short of it, don't be surprised about translation
issues. Those are common issues, that almost all of the times aren't
related to other issues.

Since you launched Claws with the lang variable from command line, you
are probably aware that at least German translations are known to be
"funny" for almost all FLOSS or proprietary software.

Regards,
Ralf