[Users] GTK 4

Aaron Fischer mail at aaron-fischer.net
Sun Apr 25 00:06:02 CEST 2021

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:27:27 -0700
Tom via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> [... a rant about a lot of different things ...]

I am not going into all of your points, because most of it is IMHO not
relevant to this thread.

> Also, why do you care about some hypothetical user's problem?

It actually is a real problem for me. On my system (Thinkpad X200 with
NixOS/Wayland/Sway) CM is kind of unusable for me. The keyboard
shortcuts stop working randomly, which is a real pain for me.

That's the reason I started this thread in the first place. I thought I
made this very clear in my last reply: I did not say gtk2 is crap and
buggy and had to go away because gtk4 is the new kid in town. gtk2
itself is fine and I like it, but things around is moving. The display
server is changing (Wayland), hardware is changing (HiDPI screens,
things like the PinePhone/PineTab, ...), Linux distributions changing,
and other applications changing too. And CM is part of this whole
ecosystem.

If CM refuse to adopt to it, it is no longer part of it.

So, my initial question is already answered. I am glad there are
movement in that direction of migrate gtk3. I will try to cut some
spare time to help with that.

Aaron