[Users] GTK 4

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 13:57:20 CEST 2021

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 13:51:15 +0200
Aaron Fischer <mail at aaron-fischer.net> wrote:

> Are there any plans to move to GTK 4?

Yes, eventually.

> Currently, CM uses GTK 2.x, which
> makes it difficult to use on Wayland. Also, there are some annoying bugs
> like shortcuts not working, which may be solved with GTK 4.
>
> I've seen there is some movement on GTK 3 on a separate branch, but
> IMHO it makes more sense to directly switch to GTK 4.

I don't think you would say that if you knew how much work has gone into a
gtk3 claws-mail so far. You'd want to release a gtk3 version before starting
on gtk4.

> If there are already some plans for that, I am glad to help with the
> migration process.

There's a lot of work to get gtk3 c-m ported to gtk4. You can submit patches
on the gtk3 branch. For the most part things that are deprecated in gtk3 are
removed in gtk4, so submit some patches to remove deprecated stuff on the
gtk3 branch and that will be helping the migration to gtk4. Thanks in advance.

with regards

Paul