[Users] Reporting Issues

edwardp at gmx.com edwardp at gmx.com
Tue Sep 29 22:33:21 CEST 2020

I realize my bug report was tedious and it unfortunately, generated a
lot of message traffic, but I would like to simply mention that there
was a crash, have since learned it was a library unrelated, causing
Claws to crash - meaning Paul was correct that it is not a Claws bug.

Over the years, I have reported issues with other apps and also while
using previous distros I used and I can't tell you how many times a
bug report was closed, that it worked for someone else (CLOSED
WORKSFORME), without being asked for any additional information. I don't
understand...

The bug report at Fedora was reopened and filed on glib2, which
contains the library causing the crash. Since it was libobject causing
the crash, I would ask why ABRT sent the report referencing Claws as
the main part of the crash, rather than glib2 referencing the library.
I'm sure it could be confusing, it said Claws crashed, caused by the
actual library.

All the developers involved with Claws do an admirable job and I mean
that sincerely. Out of all the e-mail apps I've used under Linux over
the years, I've actually had the least amount of issues with Claws.

Several years back, I reported an issue with the Windows port. I believe
it was under Windows 7, but cannot recall exactly what the issue was.
During the process of finding out what was going on, I communicated
with Andrej K. offline, he came up with a Claws build that contained a
patch of some kind, which hopefully would resplve the issue. I
downloaded it from the link he provided, installed it and that build
resolved the issue.

As you can see, I have had excellent experiences with Claws in the past
and hope to continue to do so. My further hope is that any other issues
I may end up reporting in the future - regardless of the issue, will not
generate as much traffic as this one did. :)

I'm looking forward to using the new version.

Ed