[Users] Claws Mail with LXDE and LXQt desktops

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 12:41:11 CEST 2020

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:38:34 +0200
Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 01:52:40 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
>
> > I answered that in the text just below. (emphasis now added)
>
> That would be the holy grail then. Given that Claws Mail doesn't
> crash for some of the found test-cases, analysis/discussion of the
> crash ought to start with guys that may be intimately familiar with
> the desktop environments used in those test-cases. And in the case of
> GTK2, it doesn't get much love anymore compared with GTK3.
>
> > > It may be more than one distribution.
> >
> > Indeed, but we only know of one at present, and nobody else has come
> > forward to say they are experiencing these problems elsewhere.
>
> Well, how many have encountered the crash? Switching desktop theme
> while Claws Mail is running isn't anything that can't be avoided
> easily. Personally, I have never heard about that crash before and
> also don't know whether it exists for a long time already.

Well I for one tried to reproduce the crash here (openSUSE Leap 15.0,
claws 3.16.0, LXDE desktop) and failed. But I don't understand your
point. How does it try to change the meaning of what I wrote?

> > But in the case of distro-supplied packages, it is usual to report
> > possible bugs to the distro in the first instance, and it is up to
> > the distro to receive such reports, confirm and triage them, assign
> > them to the correct support area (e.g. package maintainer), and
> > resolve the problem locally or escalate to an appropriate upstream.
> > Note that I have no knowledge of fedora specifically.
>
> There's an awful lot of theory in that paragraph, which may apply to
> commercial distributors, who maintain a controlled set of system
> component packages with a service level agreement, but it doesn't
> apply to a large scale community package collection. You expect
> community distro packagers to be more familiar with multiple system
> components than, for example, upstream developers. You also expect
> them to have access to test environments that would match the bug
> reporters setup.

I expect upstream developers not to have specific knowledge of
particular distros and to be unwilling to set up a test environment to
replicate the problem, let alone try to solve it. They are more likely
instead to request the user to build a test environment using the latest
version of their component instead of the distro-supplied version.
Strangely, that's usually not what end users either want to do or are
qualified to do.

> > > Serving as a proxy between a bug reporter and several bug trackers
> > > doesn't scale well.
> >
> > Sorry I don't understand what you're saying here.
>
> Assume a ticket has been dumped into Fedora bugzilla in a
> semi-automated way using the Automatic Bug Reporting Tool, which is
> what quite some users do these days without adding details on
> reproducibility. The assignee of the ticket takes a look and
> concludes that the bug report ought to be discussed somewhere else.
> Now the ball is back in the court of the bug reporter to go
> elsewhere,

This is where we disagree. The assignee can't pass it back to the OP -
they are an end-user, not a qualified software person. They don't have
the necessary skills. The packager should refer it to another packager,
or three.

Maybe this explains why I know nothing about fedora :)