[Users] Claws Mail with LXDE and LXQt desktops

edwardp at gmx.com edwardp at gmx.com
Sun Sep 27 20:14:44 CEST 2020

Paul - I hope the below information will be helpful.

Both LXDE and LXQt technically have two methods to change the theme or
window border. One way is to go to Preferences/Customize Look and Feel
(CLF)/Window Border. The other is to go to Preferences/Openbox
Configuration Manager/Theme (OCM).

For both desktops, the OCM method is the proper way to change the
theme/window border, which I did not know previously. All this time, I
had been using the CLF method - which actually performs the same
procedure.

I disabled GLX to see if perhaps it was related to these crashes.

On this system (with an AMD Radeon 3000 GPU), the following occurred:

With GLX disabled:

LXDE - Using the CLF method, no crash.
       Using the OCM method, no crash.

LXQt - Using the CLF method, crash.
       Using the OCM method, no crash.

With GLX enabled (the system default for a new installation):

LXDE - Using the CLF method, crash.
       Using the OCM method, no crash.

LXQt - Using the CLF method, crash.
       Using the OCM method, no crash.

With and without GLX enabled, Claws continued to crash with the MATE and
XFCE desktops when changing the themes via the proper method for both
those desktops. I will update the Fedora bug report with this
information and will let them do what they wish with the report.

Thank you for the fine work you and the other developers do with Claws.
It's very much appreciated.