[Users] Can emails be stored on local disk?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:26:40 CEST 2020

Hey there,

M. J. (Mel) Miners wrote:

>I frequently travel in areas without internet, or have brief
>connects.  Is there a way for Claws to download emails and store
>them on my computer for reading at a convenient time when there is
>no Internet?

I believe both POP3 and IMAP will let you read and respond to your
emails while offline.

If you use POP3 to get your email, then all mail will usually be
stored on your local machine and deleted from the server when you
download it, but some servers offer the option of keeping a copy of
it on the server as well and may have it set up to do that by
default.

If you use IMAP to get your email, then all mail will be stored on
the remote server, but local copies will be cached on your device(s).

Probably the biggest difference between the two is that POP3 just
grabs any mail that's in your inbox whereas IMAP synchronizes all
mail from all folders. With spotty and/or erratic connections, you'd
probably be better off with POP3 since the volume of mail that's
transferred would likely be smaller.

For getting things done while offline, Claws Mail offers a variety of
ways for you to toggle online/offline mode. You can press Ctrl+W or
put a check in the "Offline mode" box in the File menu or click the
online/offline mode icon in the bottom right corner of the program.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.