[Users] 32bit Linux recommendation to run Claws on an old laptop

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Sun Sep 20 02:39:28 CEST 2020

On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 12:34:10 -0700
sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:12:34 -0700
> sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:
>
> >I have a really old Dell laptop with a Pentium M 2Ghz processor, 4Gb
> >RAM and 128Gb drive
> >
> >It needs to run Claws-Mail and some kind of browser.
>
> Thank you to everybody. I will try debian 10 straight (I've wanted
> to try debian in anyway) and see how it goes...

Hi

I usually use Debian.   One quirk with the install is, if your laptop
has e.g. Intel wifi, the drivers are *not* open-source so they are not
included in the regular Debian install images.  The installer is likely
to demand to 'see' the driver package during the install.

HOWEVER, Debian (being realistic)  do produce alternative images
including the necessary 'non-free' drivers, if you go here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
and select your subdirectory - probably   10.5.0-live+nonfree,
then i386, then  iso-hybrid, then  say
debian-live-10.5.0-i386-lxde+nonfree.iso
that will give you a 2.8G ISO image you can burn to an install CD or
USB stick.

(There are alternative images with all the other desktop options.
Also non-'live' images, but 'live' would give you a good idea whether it
will work on your laptop.    Don't be confused by the dozens of files -
you only need one.   :)

Alternatively, I use the tiny 'netinst' images on USB which download
everything you need from the Internet during installation but I think
maybe they only do those for 64-bit.