[Users] 32bit Linux recommendation to run Claws on an old laptop

lists lists at lazygranch.com
Sat Sep 19 22:02:53 CEST 2020

I ended up abandoning my old Dell laptop due to bugs in the Intel GPU driver. This was on 64 bit Linux opensuse. It is usable if you force the OS to use the open-source graphics. Basically uninstall the Intel driver.

When I got a new notebook I made it a point not to have Intel anything since I was so mad they screwed up the GPU driver. Intel also screwed up the DRM code though I didn't care. I just uninstalled it because it locked up the notebook.

Claws and a few programs that were light on graphics was about all it could run. I switched to XFCE. I got a good four or five years out of it. It was a Dell e6400 ATG I bought as a refurb. That is the ruggedized version of the Latitude with an incredibly bright screen. I really hate to give it up but it made the modern internet unusable. I keep it around since it could be a backup but not a daily.