[Users] Claws freezing when composing e-mail replies

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Tue Sep 15 21:48:13 CEST 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:40:29 -0400
<edwardp at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:21:24 -0400
> <edwardp at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Suffered another crash/freeze with 'top' showing Claws using 99%
> > CPU, requiring reboot of system again.
> >
> > I turned off the non-blocking SSL/TLS in the accounts (Yahoo/AOL)
> > and will try that. The crashes/freezes are occurring when replying
> > to an e-mail in a Yahoo/AOL account (IMAP).
> >
> > If it does this again, I can always run it with --debug and see if
> > it will save a log. Not sure else what to try...
>
> Crashed again, requiring another system reboot. As soon as I remove
> quoted text in the reply, that is when it crashes. This can't go on.

Note that a freeze is not a crash. The two words refer to different
situations. When a program freezes (or even if it doesn't) you should
always be able to kill it from the command line. If a plain
 'kill <pid>' doesn't work then try 'kill -9 <pid>'.

Mostly it's also possible to kill things using the GUI too - click the
close box that is usually at the top-right of the window border, and
wait. After some seconds it should prompt you, saying that the process
isn't responding and do you want to kill it anyway?

> Before attaching a debug log to a bug report, is it OK if the personal
> information (e.g. e-mail addresses) is removed from the log?

Yes, as long as it isn't directly relevant to the bug, which it
doesn't sound like it will be.