[Users] Adding multiple email addresses to address book --- addendum.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 28 08:26:43 CET 2020

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 09:54:34 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

Please see at end.

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 11:40:54 +0000
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:02:13 +1300
> > Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a bunch of names and addresses stored in a text file,
> > > something like:
> > >
> > > clyde c1234 at gmail.com
> > > irving drwho at um.edu
> > > fred h2so4 at outlook.com
> > > melvin M.Mingdinkler at unb.ca
> > >
> > > There are around 50 such, so adding them one at a time would be
> > > rather tedious.
> > >
> > > The help talks about importing "LDIF" files into an address book,
> > > but is there a way to import a plain text file?  Or might there be
> > > a way to convert my plain text file into an LDIF file that I could
> > > import?
> >
> > An LDIF file is just a text file, formatted in a particular way.
> >
> > For your examples, it would look like
> >
> > dn: cn=clyde
> > mail: c1234 at gmail.com
> >
> > dn: cn=irving
> > mail: drwho at um.edu
> >
> > dn: cn=fred
> > mail: h2so4 at outlook.com
> >
> > dn: cn=melvin
> > mail: M.Mingdinkler at unb.ca
> >
> > You could write a simple script to rewrite your plain text file into
> > this format.
>
> Thanks very much Dave.  I thought when I read your email that I was
> home and hosed.  Unfortunately I'm still stuck.
>
> I successfully wrote a script to convert my plain text file to the
> LDIF format that you specified.  But after failing in my endeavours
> with this "real" LDIF file, I went back to my toy example and created
> an LDIF file (that I called "tryit.LDIF") by copying and pasting from
> your email. I then went to:
>
>     Tools -> Address book -> Tools -> Import LDIF file
>
> I have attached screen shots of the successive pop-up windows that
> appeared.
>
> I filled in the "Address Book" field as "Tryit" and the "File Name"
> field as "home/rolf/Desktop/tryit.LDIF".  (See window01.png.) I then
> clicked on "Forward" and then on "Proceed" (see window02.png) and then
> on "Close" (see window03.png).  Contrary to what the help file says,
> there seemed to be no "Save" option.  Note that window03.png says that
> the LDIF file was imported successfully.  However the new "Tryit"
> address book that appeared was empty.
>
> Clearly I am doing something wrong.  The fact that I don't get a
> "Save" option is a bad sign.  However I'm damned if I can see just
> *what* I am doing wrong.  Can you provide any guidance?
>
> I have also attached my file "tryit.LDIF" in case you want to
> experiment with it.
>
> Thanks again for your help, and sorry to be a nuisance.  I'm probably
> being an idiot as usual.

Addendum:
=========

I checked on my address books just now, and saw that the "Tryit"
address book is no longer empty.  I have no idea how long it took to
acquire contents, but the process certainly wasn't instantaneous.

Anyhow, that's the good news.  The bad news is that although the "Email
Address" field is now populated correctly, the "Name" field is only
populated with "<not set>".  I have attached a screen shot
("addrBk.png").  Is there something wrong with the syntax in my
"tryit.LDIF" file?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,

Rolf