[Users] X11-inspired Crashes

edwardp at gmx.com edwardp at gmx.com
Fri Oct 23 23:06:57 CEST 2020

There have been two X11-inspired Claws Mail crashes today. One prior to
the installation of a new graphics card and one after installation. The
card quadruples the amount of video memory previously provided by the
on-board GPU.

The latest crash occurred while composing a reply to an e-mail.

As I have upgraded the RAM (doubled from 4GB to 8GB), have added a new
graphics card and Claws still happily crashes, with inspiration from
X11, the only thing I managed to get out of this, was a (somewhat)
upgraded PC.

Although I have inquired as to whether the proposed fix sent upstream
could be tested and incorporated into the Fedora packages without
waiting for upstream, I am not keeping my hopes up. Nor do I know if
whatever upgraded packages are included with Fedora 33 will correct
this, probably not. I am end-user of Linux and am not in the business
of self-compiling packages.

Unfortunately, I have run out of ideas. At this point, I am going to
discontinue using Claws Mail. I realize that the problem lies with X11
and not Claws itself, but where a proposed fix was submitted nine
months ago and continues to sit there upstream, well, you be the judge.

I am willing to try Claws again, once Fedora 33 is released.