[Users] That won't work.

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Mon Oct 12 22:34:37 CEST 2020

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020, at 21:19, Ralf Mardorf via Users wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 20:36:59 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >You're definitely not understanding the problem. Please read again the
> >bit about "a script that *you* have written" and engage the brain and
> >try to understand the whole picture.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> from 2001: "Dave: What's the problem?
>             HAL : I think you know what the problem is just as well as I
>                   do."
>
> The scripts I wrote, that are executed by Claws, cannot execute third
> party commands/software ...

I'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly, but I have the
impression that it's got nothing to do with the contents of any script.

Instead, it seems to be a weakness of the mechanism that invokes a
script, where what's meant to be one or more parameter to that script
is instead executed by the method Claws uses to invoke scripts.

So if Claws would attempt to run

 <scriptname> <parm1> <parm2> <parm4> ...

but one of those parameters is specially crafted and that command
line looks like

  <scriptname> <parm1> <cmdseparator> <dangerouscommand>

two commands get executed, namely

  <scriptname> <parm1>        and
 <dangerouscommand>

Have I misunderstood?