[Users] How to make claws put my correct address to the to-field?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 18:35:45 CEST 2020

Hey there,

wwp wrote:

>The solution I've suggested is obviously not ideal in such situation,
>but you would have saved me few minutes of life by saying first what
>situation you were exactly in. You're obviously not a human being
>but a robot or some kind of heartless automatism, probably not
>deserving to use a MUA like Claws Mail but a MTA in a house of
>scripts that would rewrite headers accordingly to your needs. Good
>luck with all your 400 database-wildcarded email adresses, robot!

This sort of thing doesn't have to be malicious at all. In fact, it's
a common practice for handling junk email and a great way to do your
own email forensics or sleuthing. After all, when you give your email
address to new contacts, they might share it with others. An easy way
to find out who did that and an easy way to recognize and/or filter
such unwanted email is by customizing your email address by adding a
plus sign followed by some text to the username portion of it. This
way, each of your contacts will be given a unique email address only
for their use.

For example, if you want to share your hello at gmail.com email address
with someone new, you could give them the hello+world at gmail.com
address. Gmail will ignore the plus sign and everything after it in
your username, so the mail will be delivered to your hello at gmail.com
inbox, but will still be addressed to hello+world at gmail.com. Not only
will you instantly know who gave out your email address, but you can
also easily filter the unwanted emails as they come in.

The beauty of this approach is that you can filter on one thing that's
in your control instead of filtering on each of any number of new
contacts who bought or got their hands on (or will buy or get their
hands on) your address.

This will only work reliably if you always send messages to each
contact from the email address you shared with them. The proposed
solution in this thread would do that nicely.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.