[Users] Next following message

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:45:14 CEST 2020

Hey there,

sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:

>I've tried Search but it was more than a pain. I have 800+ emails
>with that company.

Claws Mail wouldn't consider that a burden (some of my folders have
thousands of messages in them and Claws Mail rips right through them
without batting an eyelash), but if you prefer a different way of
searching and you're on GNU/Linux, open the ~/Mail directory in a
terminal window and type this, replacing "example" with something you
know is in the message you're searching for:

grep -r "example" *

It will search all the subdirectories recursively lightning-fast and
will let you know which folder the results are in.

Then you can pick one of these to open it (I prefer the first one):

	1) Copy the path to that file and replace PATH in this
	command with the path to the specified file to open Claws
	Mail in the specified folder with that message selected:

	claws-mail PATH

		As an example, I did a search for a message that was
		in my inbox and then went to it with this command
		after grep gave me the inbox/9341 path to the file:

		claws-mail inbox/9341

	2) Open the folder in your file manager, browse to the file,
	right-click it, and choose to open it in Claws Mail.

	3) Open the folder in Claws Mail and find the message
	manually, especially if you know the approximate date it came.

	4) Open the folder in Claws Mail and use the Claws Mail
	search with the same search term you used in the grep
	search to find the message.

If you're on an Apple or Windows machine or some other device,
someone else will want to jump in here with some alternatives.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.