[Users] Why does the domain claws-mail.org point to a blank index of page?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 20 08:05:29 CET 2020

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:54:50 +0800
Ming <ming at pgp.cool> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today when I want to go to the official website of Claws Mail, I typed
> "claws-mail.org" in the address bar of my browser, and then I got a
> blank "Index of" page.
>
> Then I found that www.claws-mail.org and claws-mail.org are point to
> different pages, only www.claws-mail.org is the real official website
> page.
>
> I am a newbie to this website and don’t know much about it. Is there
> any special reason for this or is it just a configuration error?
>
> Hope to be answered.
>
> Thanks.

Well this is likely to be a case of the blind leading the blind, but my
gut feeling is that this is an infelicity in your web browser.  I
conjecture that if you used any other web address, omitting the initial
"www." you would get effectively the same result.

When I type "claws-mail.org" into the wee rectangle into which one
might insert a web address, in Firefox, and click on the wee "go" arrow
(or simply press <return>), what I typed gets automatically replaced by
"https://www.claws-mail.org" and I am taken to that location.

I don't think I could point Firefox at just-plain "claws-mail.org"
if I tried.  Dillo is not so inclined to wrap the user in cotton-wool.
It tries to point at "http://claws-mail.org" and comes up empty-handed.

Likewise, pretty much, for GoogleChrome (the other browser that I have
installed).  It tries to point at "claws-mail.org" but prefaces this
with "Not secure | ".

When I type in "www.claws-mail.org", using either Dillo or GoogleChrome,
I get to where I want to go.

Bottom line:  (a) Use Firefox, or (b) preface web addresses with "www."