[Users] GTK3: toolbar real-estate...

Nikita Zlobin nick87720z at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:36:13 CEST 2020

I did not try CM3, but I'm right now trying to create own gtk3 theme
for self - slim, compact.

Are gaps created due to CSS theme, or they are in properties?
You could try this check - add this rule to gtk.css in your
~/.config/gtk-3.0 (given its not overriden by something else):

* {
	min-height: 0;
	min-width: 0;
	padding: 0;
	margin: 0;
}

Some widgets may disappear (combobox arrowes, check/radio-boxes).
Consider it such a stress test. For example, I used this (though more
extended) as start for my new theme. Its look in attachement with
mousepad example - though it has 4px side padding for buttons... yeah,
it's still in 'px', for now I only used 'pt' for check/radiobox sizes
to make them visible.

It seems to be trend for UI themes, more tuned for big resolutions or
for use at touch devices. But one problem: CSS themes could
automagically become resolution independent (give you set correct dpi)
just by using different units than 'px' for sizes, most likely 'mm' and
'pt'. But they are still in 'px'. Sometimes are duplicated for some
hidpi mod. I noticed, that widget size, specified in such way, can't
become fractional, border is always aligned bby pixels. So, using 'mm'
and 'pt' for min-size, min-height, padding, margin and etc is more or
less safe.