[Users] Fresh Installation of Claws-Mail

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat May 2 16:06:44 CEST 2020

On Sat, 2 May 2020 15:37:26 +0200, Andrej Kacian stated:
>On Sat, 2 May 2020 07:44:04 -0400
>Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> I certainly do not want to offend anyone; however, 'dillo' sucks. I
>> don't know why the claws-mail team chose it for their HTML
>> engine. As far as I can tell, it is not even maintained. I have never
>> used the 'LiteHTML' plug-in. I have heard that at best it is mediocre
>> but never-the-less, better than 'dillo.' The 'fancy' plug-in worked
>> exceptionally well.
>
>You can thank all the "web for everything" people for making the HTML
>standard so complex and convoluted that it takes a team of dozens, if
>not hundreds of people in order to implement a fully compliant HTML
>renderer. The majority of rendering complexity is due to the byzantine
>rules of CSS layouting.
>
>All the big HTML renderers (Webkit, Chrome, Firefox, ...) have this
>kind of manpower and budget to maintain it. In comparison, Dillo is a
>work of perhaps half a dozen people, and Litehtml is work of just
>one person.
>
>I myself find the Litehtml plugin sufficient for the simple HTML
>layouts of blog posts I read via their RSS feeds, and the occasional
>invoice e-mail. Where it often falls down hard is commercial spam,
>which tend to be very heavy on CSS layout. Then again, not being able
>to read commercial spam can probably be considered a feature. :)
>
>I get that not everyone's use of HTML mail is as basic as mine, so
>Litehtml (or Dillo) plugins are not ideal for other people. However,
>there is nothing better, given the dependencies and requirements of
>available rendering engines.
>
>Options? Webkit via the Fancy plugin might see its big return in the
>GTK3 version of Claws Mail. There is Chrome Embedded Framework (CEF),
>which could also be "pluginized", if someone feels motivated enough to
>scratch that itch. As far as Firefox' engine, I don't think it is
>available to being embedded in a plugin.
>
>On MacOS, the apple's HTML engine could perhaps also be used in a
>plugin, but it will take a MacOS-friendly developer to write such a
>plugin.
>
>On Windows, neither the old, nor the new HTML engine are embeddable in
>the way Claws Mail needs.

Andrej, over a decade ago, probably more, I used a product called "Becky
Internet Mail" <http://www.rimarts.co.jp/becky.htm> on a Windows
machine. It did then, and I am told, still does, employs MS Explorer,
now MS Edge as its HTML engine. Would that be an option for claws-mail
on under a Windows environment?

--
Jerry