[Users] email message storage location (OT)

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 09:38:13 CEST 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 07:06:01 -0000, Paul wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 07:45:44 +0200
>Ralf Mardorf via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> That's why a lot of effort is put in development of glass cockpits,
>> user interfaces for weapon systems and similar critical software,
>> but some companies even test their graphic design and other
>> noncritical software related to pitfalls of usage way more, than
>> this could be done for free as in beer software. It's a myth that a
>> huge community for free as in beer software could replace the money
>> and infrastructure of companies. Those communities are usually echo
>> chambers casting a damp on such efforts.
>
>I don't know about anyone else on this list, but these (now continual)
>comparisons to weapon systems are getting old. I've read enough.
>
>And the old adage about linux is "Free as in freedom, not free as in
>beer".

It could take money to optimise user interfaces and I doubt that a lot
of Linux related projects could spend much money to optimise user
interfaces. Btw. even the infrastructure and money of companies not
necessarily ensures good software design. While user interfaces are
often optimised, security seems to be a serious issue for e.g. power
plants and other non-military, but critical systems, even car keys
seem to be insecure. IOW money and a companies infrastructure not
necessarily solves issues. However, money and a good company
infrastructure are very often an advantage for development. It's a fact
that Claws and a lot of other software is for free as in beer and some
kind of software even isn't available at all for those Linux platforms
we get for free as in beer. The "free as in beer" aspect is very
important, since it's very good that an operating system and a lot of
usable software is for free as in beer, even while the "free as in beer
approach" has got some pitfalls. "Free as in Freedom" is also
important, but what "libre" is for, is very disputed among advocators,
BSD licenses vs GPL etc. pp.. The Creative Commons is also split
into licenses "Approved for Free Cultural Works" and incompatible
licenses. The "free" as in "libre" is important, but tricky.

In will stop my explanations now. Everybody is "free" to ignore reality
and chose living in an echo chamber instead.