[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 01:19:32 CET 2020

Hi Ralf, and thanks for your time.

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 22:26:51 +0100
Ralf Mardorf via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 21:49:15 +0100, John Crisp wrote:
> >https://www.reetspetit.com/Test/claws1.png
> Hi John,
>
> you have a point here, but... ;).

LOL....

> Actually Claws does the right thing. The handle is at the right
> position. The design flaw is, that the search bar and information
> about selected items should be at another position, e.g. as it is
> done by Evolution:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/figures/window-overview-layers.png

Well, technically if that is the position of he search bar, then that is
fine - it's just the drag handle is in the wrong place ;-)

> Since Claws is a mailer and not an Electronic Flight Instrument
> System, it IMO isn't worth to change it. Changing the user interface
> would probably annoy those who are using Claws since years. It might
> be something the developers should consider for the GTK3 port of
> Claws. When migrating to GTK3, users anyway likely need to get used
> to a little bit different behaviour of the Claws user interface, so
> introducing a new user interface could be something to consider.

No it isn't worth spending time on.

Funny - trying to wean myself off TB I quickly got used to the oddly
placed search bar, but keep missing the drag handle, in part because it
is visually tiny and easy to miss. I've found that to be a way bigger
irritant than the search bar!!!!

Strange the things we get used too.

I didn't expect it would be an easy change but thought I'd ask anyway.

But yes, it should be a future consideration

Many thanks.

B. Rgds
John